We went out for dinner for Emma’s birthday and predictably enough she had the squid-ink lobster fettuccini and I had a lamb chops and salad. The chops we’re served with a pistachio crust which was absolutely delicious and gave me inspiration for this post. Once the seed had been sewn we spent the day messaging each other about how we could serve this and it turned from a simple pistachio crusted chicken breast to ‘braided’ chilli-white-wine-marinated-chicken with pistachio-cashew-basil crusted cauliflower & carrot mash with wilted spinach on the side Boom! Deelish!
- 150 gms raw, shelled pistachios
- 50 gms raw cashews
- 125 gms baby spinach
- 1 red oinion
- 2 chicken breasts (500 gms total)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Chili Flakes
- Heat a frying pan on the stove at a medium setting
- Drop the nuts in and drizzle the avocado oil on top
- Stir regularly to get an even roast across all sides of the nuts
- Roast for 3-5 minutes, until the cashews are golden in colour
- Drop the mixture in a food processor or coffee grinder, add chili flakes, salt, pepper, basil, whiz it up until it turns into a power
- Cut the chicken into long, thin strips
- Marinate the chicken in white wine, chili flakes, avocado oil, olive oil, salt and pepper – let it sit for 30 minutes or so
- Braid the chicken strips using a toothpick to keep the 3 initial strands together, using the longest strips for the braids
- Place in an oven that is preheated to 150 degrees Celsius, on ‘bake’ setting for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle some of the nut mixture on top and turn your top grill for the last 5 minutes to give the chicken a slightly golden-brown colour
- Boom! Serve with a cauliflower mash – this particular version was inspired by the theme of the evening and crusted in a pistachio and cashew mix!