We had a vegetarian friend coming for dinner and I suddenly had a panic because all the amazing veggie food I used to eat has some grain or pulse base. These Veggie stuffed boats were amazingly filling, tasty, satisfying and my caveman hubby (to be) didn’t even miss the meat! I think we might start to introduce Meatless Mondays…maybe…lets see..
- 2 large green zucchini (courgette) marrows
- 2 Large Yellow zucchini marrows
- Grated Paramsan cheese (leave it out if you are strict Paleo)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the tomato sauce you can make your usual one or use the following ingredients
- One red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 200g button mushrooms
- 2 tiny courgettes (we get little Lebanese ones here)
- 1/2 a roasted aubergine (eggplant)
- 2 Tbsp of sun-dried tomato paste
- 1-2 cans of organic tinned tomatoes
- Salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste
Cut the courgettes lengthwise and use a teaspoon to hollow out the centres. Drizzle with olive oil, add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and place them in a preheated oven (180 Deg C 350F) while for about 30 mins while you prepare the rest.
The different colours are completely optional but I love the contrasting colours and I feel like the yellow ones are slightly sweeter
To make your tomato sauce, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil, then add the mushrooms, courgette and grilled aubergine and simmer for about 5 minutes before adding the tomato paste and finally the tinned tomatoes. Allow it to simmer to let the flavours mature. Add a dash of chilli flakes, salt and pepper if needed.
Pull the Zucchini boats out of the oven and carefully spoon the tomatoey goodness into each one. Laden with grated cheese (or not if you are totally Paleo) and place back in the oven for 5-10 mins or until the cheese is just starting to brown
Serve with wilted asparagus, enjoy with lovely vegetarian friends and sleep easy knowing that no little lambs were harmed for your dinner!!
- Garlic Chicken with Zucchini Ribbons (seasonsforcooking.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Boats (pinkroseblossom.wordpress.com)
- Monday’s With Michelle: Tomato & Pesto Zucchini ‘Pasta’ (yourcorelight.com)
- Delicious zucchini Neapolitan (meepolife.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarian or Vegan Roasted Veggie Salad Wraps (treschicasmorenas.wordpress.com)