I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and spent it indulging with loved ones. We’re up to our eyes in left-over Christmas turkey and what better way to use it up than a pot-pie! This is our first Paleo Christmas, so we’re ditching the store-bought pre-rolled pie crust for home made almond – tapioca pie crust.
This turned out so satisfying and deliciously comforting.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- Leftover turkey – pulled off the bone and into small pieces – probably about 2 clasped hand-fulls worth of meat?
- Any left-over christmas vegetables (we had cinnamon roasted carrots left)
- 1 large white onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 150g button mushrooms
- 1 small leek
- 150-200ml left over home made gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon of mixed Italian herbs
Pie Crust Ingredients:
Start by pulling all the meat off the bird and set aside. Dice all the left over and new vegetables then heat a small amount of olive oil in a pan and saute the onion, leeks and carrots. gradually add the other vegetables and if you are not feeling too guilty from the past few days of indulgence then stir in a knob of butter! Once the mixture has all started to soften, add the turkey bit by bit and mix it all together.
While the mixture is cooking you can make your almond pie crust.
MIx the almond flour, tapioca flour, eggs and a little olive oil in a bowl. Our eggs were really small so I used two, if your eggs are large, you may only need one. Gradually add more oil until the pastry sticks together. Use a rolling pin or your hands to roll or press the pastry into a pie lid and set aside.
Spoon the mixture into the pie dish then spoon the left over gravy generously over top. Cover with the pastry lid and pierce it a few times so steam can escape. Optional: brush with egg yolk to achieve the golden crust.
Place in a preheated oven (200 deg C) and cook for about 25 mins or until the crust starts to brown.
- Paleo Pancakes (Tapioca-Banana Pancakes) (cavemanmodernwoman.wordpress.com)
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Turnover (ecokaren.com)
- After Thanksgiving Turkey Pot Pie (lovebugandsweetiegirl.com)
- Chicken Pot Pie – Perfect Recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers (betterinbulk.net)
- Turkey Pot Pie (strollercity.wordpress.com)